Miles and miles of clean white sand and crystal clear blue water: the Dominican Republic is the perfect sun vacation. Not only for couples, friend groups, and older people. Even for families with kids, the country has lots to offer. For those traveling to the Dominican Republic with kids, here’s a detailed guide with tips and recommendations on the family-friendly things to do in this Caribbean paradise.
Leave the iPads and Playstations at home and prepare your kids for some vacation adventure and fun time on the beach! Here are some the best things to do in the Dominican Republic with kids:
- Fun at the beach in Punta Cana — The easternmost part of the country is tourism hub with over 30 kilometers of beautiful beaches, luxury all-inclusive hotels and lots of entertainment. this is where you’ll find the most family-oriented resorts. Tip: Rent a car to explore all the beaches in Punta Cana: Macao beach is our personal favorite, with big waves and a wide beautiful beach, often empty of tourists. There’s also a surf camp there where your kids can learn to surf! Are you Looking for a kid’s friendly resort? how about the new Nickelodeon Resort. Your kids will love it!
- Catch a catamaran and go snorkeling at Isla Saona — Saona Island is a tropical island located on the southeast of the Dominican Republic. It is part of the Parque Nacional del Este. This island doesn’t have hotels and it’s not allowed to stay here overnight. A great kid’s friendly excursion includes a catamaran ride from Bayahibe to the island, a buffet lunch, and a stop at a shallow sandbank. They’ll love it! This is a must visit experience when traveling to the Dominican Republic with Kids.
- Caving and zip lining in Scape Park — Located in Cap Cana, this is a beautiful natural theme park with numerous attractions ranging from adventurous and adrenaline-pumping activities to cultural and highly entertaining experiences. Try zip lining, visit the numerous cenotes in the area, or discover through the underground network of chambers and tunnels that lie beneath.
Traveling to the Dominican Republic with Kids
- Whale watching off the Samana Peninsula — From January to March every year, humpback whales migrate through the north coast of the Dominican Republic after feeding in the north. Especially in the bay of Samana is considered one of the best spots in the world to spot whales, according to the World Wildlife Fund. Stay in in Las Terranes overnight and go on whale-watching trips, ATV tours in the nearby forest, or canyoning in El Limon River. A great activity and place to stay for the whole family!
- Discover the oldest city in the Americas – Santo Domingo’s Zona Colonial. Founded in 1496 by Bartolome Columbus this is the oldest city in the Americas. Discover the beautiful colonial streets, tasty eateries, talk with the friendly locals and zip on a Caribbean cocktail at the famous Plaza Espana. This safe and family friendly area is a must-visit destination when Traveling to the Dominican Republic with Kids.
Looking for more things to do? Then click here!